The Ultimate Kidney Jing Fortifier and
#1 Anti-Aging Herb in Chinese Tonic Herbalism
The Legend of He Shou Wu…
This root is named after a man who became famous from its use. Neng Zi was born as a weak boy. When he grew up he never married because he was impotent. At the age of 58, one day he got drunk in the forest and fell asleep. He noticed roots that appeared in his mind to be “making love”. He dug these up and later made it into a tonic he could consume.
Within a short period of time, he noticed a new energy flowing within his body. He began to feel virile, and could hardly contain his sexual drive. He continued taking He Shou Wu for years which made his gray hair turn black and he fathered many children.
The legend says he lived to 160 years old and fathered 19 sons and daughter. Not bad for starting out with a weak constitution and beginning on the herb at 58.
He Shou Wu is called Polygonum multiflorum and sometimes Fallopia multiflora. It is also well known as foti or fo-ti, though this is technically inaccurate, and originally referred to a different herb.
He Shou Wu Benefits
- Supports Liver and Kidney Detoxification
- A Mild Sedative said to Calm the Nervous System
- Helps Enhance Fertility
- High in Zinc
- Shown to Very Significantly Increase Levels of SOD (Superoxide Dismutase) in the Body which is a Powerful Antioxidant that Protects DNA from Damage
- Supports Blood Building and Blood Cell Health with Iron
- Helps Modulate Estrogen
- Strengthens the Kidneys and Adrenals
- Aids in Mental Clarity, Learning and Memory
- Can help with Low Back or Knee Pain (as these are associated with Kidney Deficiency)
- Immune System support
- Slows Degeneration of Glands
- Helps Strengthen the Muscles and Tendons
- Many people report Improved Sleep
- Inhibits Formation of Advanced Glycation End Products (AGEs)
- Anti-Mutagenic Effects and Improves DNA Repair
- Protects Skin from Photoaging
- Increases Nitric Oxide and Endothelial Health
- Improves Mitochondrial Function
Several studies have shown that animals fed He Shou Wu live longer than their control group counterparts. In China they’ve even used it to help patients suffering from Schizophrenia.
The principle constituent of Polygonum multiflorum is 2,3,4′,5-Tetrahydroxystilbene-2-O-β-D-glucoside (called TSG for short). Of course, it contains many other components like emodin, several proanthocyanidins, a high phenol content and much more.
He Shou Wu on Gray Hair and Hair Loss
The name He shou wu has been translated as Mr He’s Black Hair or Hairy Back. In either case, it has to do with hair, which may be one of this root’s most hoped for benefits. You can see it worked for him in the story above.
Its principle effect in this arena seems to be in helping prevent or even restoring gray hair to its natural color. There are some studies with rats even showing regrowth from hair loss. 
In Chinese medicine, gray hair, especially premature, is an issue with Jing, which he shou wu can help restore. Our opinion is that if you’re looking to combat gray hair or hair loss then give it a shot and see how it works for you.
Amazing 20:1 Concentration Extraction
That means there are 20 lbs. of roots to every 1 lb. of finished extract, using four-year-old roots. All the active constituents of the roots are concentrated to make this extract even more powerful.
Serving size is one-half to one teaspoon twice per day which is about 3.5 grams. This can easily be mixed into water and other liquids. There are roughly 27-54 servings per 100-gram bag (a little over 3.5 ounces).
He Shou Wu Side Effects
He Shou Wu must be prepared properly to have its tonic properties. Raw, unprepared He Shou Wu is a strong laxative and should not be consumed regularly. It is potentially liver toxic in this form. However, in processed form, it is found to be protective of the liver. Beware of companies selling unprepared He Shou Wu as they are unaware of this fact.
Prepared He Shou Wu is extremely safe. In Lethal Dose 50 tests, there were found to be no deaths even after 1000g/kg!
The only possible side effect that some people find is slightly soft stools and mild gastrointestinal discomfort though this is rare.
Check out these additional articles and videos:
Li Ching-Yuen – 256 Year Old Man!
The Importance of Zinc for Testosterone and Reproduction in Males
Zinc: Benefits and Sources
He Shou Wu Wikipedia
- Promotion effect of constituents from the root of Polygonum multiflorum on hair growth.
- Topical application of Polygonum multiflorum extract induces hair growth of resting hair follicles through upregulating Shh and β-catenin expression in C57BL/6 mice.
- Neuroprotective effects of Polygonum multiflorum extract against glutamate-induced oxidative toxicity in HT22 hippocampal cells.
- Tetrahydroxystilbene glucoside improves the learning and memory of amyloid-β-injected rats and may be connected to synaptic changes in the hippocampus.
- Hexane extract from Polygonum multiflorum attenuates glutamate-induced apoptosis in primary cultured cortical neurons.
- Damage effect of Polygonum multiflorum fractions on human normal liver cells L02 and liver cancer cells HepG2
- Cytoprotective properties of traditional Chinese medicinal herbal extracts in hydrogen peroxide challenged human U373 astroglia cells.
- 2,3,4,5-tetrahydroxystilbene-2-O-β-D-glucoside inhibits proliferation of vascular smooth muscle cells: involvement of NO/cGMP/PKG pathway.
- Toxicity of raw and processed roots of Polygonum multiflorum.
- Hepatoprotection of emodin and Polygonum multiflorum against CCl(4)-induced liver injury.
- Pharmacokinetics and tissue distribution of 2,3,5,4′-tetrahydroxystilbene-2-O-β-
- D-glucoside from traditional Chinese medicine Polygonum multiflorum following oral administration to rats
- Tetrahydroxystilbene glucoside protects human neuroblastoma SH-SY5Y cells against MPP+-induced cytotoxicity.
- Effect of compound Polygonum multiflorum extract on Alzheimer’s disease
- Stilbene glucoside from Polygonum multiflorum Thunb.: a novel natural inhibitor of advanced glycation end product formation by trapping of methylglyoxal
- Effect of polygonum multiflorum on the fluidity of the mitochondria membrane and activity of COX in the hippocampus of rats with Abeta 1-40-induced Alzheimer’s disease.
- The Amazing Health Benefits of He Shou Wu
- An extract of Polygonum multiflorum protects against free radical damage induced by ultraviolet B irradiation of the skin.
- In vitro estrogenic activities of Chinese medicinal plants traditionally used for the management of menopausal symptoms
- Antimutagenic property of an herbal medicine, Polygonum multiftorum Thunb. detected by the Tradescantia micronucleus assay.
- Polygonum multiflorum extracts improve cognitive performance in senescence accelerated mice.
Product of China
* These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
** We test all products on ourselves to verify the claims made by supplier’s and are in the process of getting them independently lab tested to verify contents. These products are not certified organic but would likely pass that inspection if it was paid for. GMO-Free.
Read our He Shou Wu reviews and leave your own below!
Submit your review
It's probably too early to tell for hair help to aid a bald spot in the upper top upper rear part of my head, however, I think what is noticeable , is that through each shower that I have taken, I have shed less hair progressively. It's been about 2 -3 weeks of supplementing @ around 1.3-1.5 grams twice to thrice per day.My hair has been growing longer than ever in my life over the past year , however, the bald spot started to develop about 1.5-2 years ago . I began to get worried, or at least try to start addressing the situation. So, new hair or not, fact is that the drain has been having at least 1/4 of the hair that is usually left in the drain after the shower in my time b4 starting the herb. To be over detailed abs true, I wonder also if the facts of my testimony are slightly tainted, as in: if I am in fact shedding or letting loose less hair each shower, then does that also mean that some other hair may actually have a chance to go down the drain holes because the whole net loss shedding is lessening?Even if so , the drain has been the same, and at the end of a shower, I collect about 1/4 on the side compared what would be 4/4 on a normal shower. I have high hopes for the future. And really want to try to add other things to boost it's effectiveness, such as possibly some MSM and horsetail grass, and to consume more raw vegetables throughout the day , even if in small amounts like my days of old.I took accidentally about 2-3 month long cycles of pro hormones "by accident" about 3 years ago , and even in that small amount and even if by accident, I wonder if hair loss was a side effect of those chemicals? If you guys know of any other simple things to boost the He Shou, then please advise, however, I am already strongly assuming that He Shou is the top anecdote for hair help, or the He Shou is backbone of what can help the hair either through re growth at best, stabilization better, and prevention of worsening conditions as good depending on ones chemistry and karma with overall herb and ur situation and needs versus wants.Also, all hair talk aside, I find it does offer a subtle empowering energy, even though subtle empowering is a bit oxymoronic, this stuff will offer aid to a sore body and sore spine. All in all, even if it doesn't make my hair grow back totally immediately in that small bald spot, then I am currently thankful the He Shou is strengthening other hairs most likely , as I have definitely compared hair collected post shower b4 and after for these 3 weeks.
Great effect to be in good health all the week!!And my hair are more strong and are starting to coming back to black !!They are new hair growing to!!!Verry happy thanks guys!!
Ive been taking He Shou wu for a while now, pleased to say, my gray hair and beard is growing in BLACK AGAIN. Very happy and pleased to have this result! Thank you SUPER MAN HERBS. HE SHOU WU works for me.
always prompt and friendly, I have never had a problem with anything from these guys WAY TO GO !